Dec 2

So, I need to catch you up on my week here on the Seacoast. Get comfy.  Grab a cup of coffee and an afghan. Or, if you're at Starbucks on WL's west side, more likely you can grab a Korean.   :  ) (shout out to Mary! Say hello to Damien and Marshall and possibly Anastasia and the overly chatty origami woman.)

So, last year, when I "discovered" Portsmouth, I stopped people on the street to survey them about the town.  One congenial person I talked with is a retired school teacher from Boston ( how can I write Baaahston so it sounds like how those natives pronounce it? does that do it?). She seemed pretty much a hipster and in the know and we talked for about ten minutes. I had stopped her in front of her destination:  The Pressroom. She often walked down from her home for dinner or drinks and live music (which they offer every night, and twice a day on weekends.)  I imagined she'd have this big group of lively, gently argumentative and supportive friends waiting for her inside. I thought, please, please ask me to go in there with you!  because I wanted to check it out without looking like even more of a stalker and it'd be awkward to walk in solo right behind her and maybe not find a seat right away and be standing around like a fish out of water (or, given where I am, maybe a lobster without a shell)  while all her friends shout out her name (which is Diane, btw.)  Whew. But you know what I mean, right? But she didn't and I had other people to accost so that was that.

Aaaaanway, I decided I'd get there eventually. I sought it out my first night back here and it is as comfortable as I imagined it to be, even as a solo, and although the bartender did not shout out my name, nor has even asked for it, as he set down my club soda he did say, softly but distinctly,  "Cheers." 



No comments:

Post a Comment