Dec 12

Q: Do you know how much I like to dance? A: A LOT.

And I had forgotten just how much! There just hasn't been many opportunities in Indiana to dance to the type of music I like or with other dancers with similar rhythm. (Except in my own home. Here's a shout out to Lindsy who is the queen of living room dancing!!)

But I had to start making more opportunities. Last summer,  I was at a big outdoor event and finally became one of those woman who dances solo in public.  I always felt subconscious about doing that, and felt a little sorry for those "out there" types when I saw them, but that day the music was great and the dancing alternatives were lousy: ask or wait for a stranger to ask me, or wait for a group of friends to come along,  or join in with a nearby group of strangers (believe me, that can be as awkward as a junior high lunch table.) Or the worst of all- ignore what I really wanted to do and not dance at all. 

So, my first solo dancing night was fantastic! I had a blast. And now I go out of my way to find as many opportunities as I can to dance- in fact, I have a new goal of dancing 54 times this year.  It's a good number because I turned 54 this year and, of course,  in honor of Studio 54. (It was the happening place in NY during my most dancing-ful years; I never went there, but in Buffalo we could emulate.)

Aaanyway, so far I've been a little freaked out about dancing in Portsmouth. First, there was the Salsa Dance Party (first and third Friday of every month!) in a small restaurant/ club.  I loved the band, but the dance floor was as tiny as a postage stamp, and the men were a bit too, uh, into themselves.

I agreed to dance with one that had nothing but twirling on his mind; no steps in between! Was he afraid he'd need to mov more than his arm?  It got a little dizzying. I felt bad that I couldn't keep up but than I talked to one new friend who said, "You danced with that guy? No way will I dance with him. He makes everyone feel all pukey." Okay, it wasn't just me.

One man asked me to dance and held out his hand in a gentlemanly way. Just then,  a woman jumped between us to give him a hug. And then a big, somewhat long kiss. His hand was still out to me. Was I supposed to take it?

Then I was asked to dance to a slower song. This partner was looking for a closer dance than should be happening between strangers. He was already excited to be there, if you know what I mean. Eeew. That ended quickly. It looked like his next dance partner smacked him.

Then I tried to dance solo. No go! Bad dancers of one kind or another kept trying to join me, or more accurately, touch me, so I left. I went to hear a soul/funk band in a different club. Good live music played by Solemate! This time I tried to camouflage myself in with a MeetUp group that was there. (I had met them at a comedy night a few nights ago- more later.) But one elderly member decided I needed a partner. He kept telling me what a great dancer I am but unfortunately he wasn't soulful or even funky. Well, maybe a little funky.

Oh well, there's always my weekly African Dancing class. It's a fun workout with great live drumming and best of all, there's no touching of others!  Here's a video to inspire or entertain you. (It's actually a beginner's class I took in Champaigne, IL before I came out here.)

I need 44 more dances to make my goal. Wish me luck!




2 comments:

  1. Q: You know what I used to love?
    A: Square Dancing!
    Took lessons for a couple of years back in the 80s and always thought I'd do it again, but never have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you just missed some!
    There was some swinging your partner happening at Foam City - maybe in November?. Me and my dosey-doeing partner Linda H went down there for some calling. The next day, Foam City was shut down by the fire marshall. Might be back though : )

    ReplyDelete